Sewing a dress for church





In September this year students in my fashion design class are supposed to start sewing actual garments, so I usually sew stuff for practice (my stitches can look like a frolicking grasshopper).  I made a simple dress for Easter Sunday service, process photos are placed below.

My fabrics: kiana, stretch cotton(?), a type of embroidered linen, chiffon and printed polyester cotton.


My patterns are in the photo below:






I cut out the bodice part from the linen. I also cut out an underdress from the kiana fabric. Sleeves were cut out also, as seen in the upper left corner but they were not used:


The chiffon fabric was folded into quarters and cut out to form a circle.




The two parts of the bodice back are sewn together at a line half inch from the edge (The pair of scissors indicates the line).

Side seams are then sewn.





Shoulder seams are sewn:

Chiffon material is basted and gathered at the waist.

The photo above shows the preparation to attach the blouse to the skirt ('Blouse an' skerrt!').

The blouse and skirt were basted together so that the elastic could be attached (elastic is a life - saver, I tell you!).


Photo documentation is missing here because I was busy directing some choice words at the chiffon fabric.  The finished outfit :

I am very proud of myself because I never tried formal fabrics before.  Some of the stitching is like whoa but I believe practice makes better.  So I continue my sewing quest :)



Comments

Post a Comment

Leave your comment here. I would love to hear from you!

My Popular Posts.